Acceptable Use Policy
Use of ResNet services is a privilege, and it is the responsibility of each user to utilize these services appropriately.
The Ohio State University, through the Office of Student Life, provides network connection services to residence hall rooms and other university-owned housing facilities.
The use of this service is a privilege, and it is the responsibility of each user to utilize these services appropriately. By connecting a host/computer to ResNet, users are bound to and required to adhere to all aspects of the OSU Policy on Responsible Use of University Computing Resources as well as any and all university, city, county, state and federal regulations. In addition, users of ResNet at OSU are required to adhere to the following terms of acceptable use.
- The primary intent of ResNet is to provide access to academic technology resouces in pursit of higher education. Users will refrain from abuse and excessive use of the finite resources and hosts connected to ResNet and the Ohio State network. Users will also refrain from abuse and excessive use of hosts and services outside of ResNet and Ohio State.
- Users must not illegally download or share copyrighted movies, music, software, or games.
- As the intent of ResNet is to provide users with access to externally hosted services, users will not attempt to provide any unauthorized services.
- Users will not attempt to circumvent the ResNet firewall or any other established network services.
- Users will not modify or tamper with any ResNet network wiring, hardware, or jacks.
- Users are responsible for all network traffic originating from their host.
- Users are prohibited from installing personal routers (wired or wireless) to the network. Routers may disrupt the network and introduce unnecessary security risks for other residence hall students.
Any actions that are deemed a violation of these policies may result in termination of services. Users are subject to any applicable university and/or criminal sanctions and procedures. For more information or to report abuse please contact the Student Life Support Center at (614) 292-5700.